- Academic Papers at Academia.edu: http://independent.academia.edu/LisaMendes/
- Astrology, Initiation & the Black Sun – Written specifically for a conference on the topic of the black sun and its connection to archetypal psychology and healing practices, held by the Society for Storytelling in London 2010, it details my own experience with this alchemical symbol, popularised in the work of Carl Jung and Stanton Marlon, and how it helped me to navigate my own personal experience with Seasonal Affective Disorder, as well as driving my own research process leading up to the writing of my dissertation for the MA in the Cultural Study of Cosmology & Divination in 2009. Ultimately, I realized the importance of distinguishing between the black sun, associated with Saturn & the alchemical nigredo, and the midnight sun, a symbol of inversion and spiritual rebirth often witnessed towards the end of the initation process – something described in detail in the work of both Henry Corbin, and Tom Cheetham.
- Where Psyche & Soma Meet – An academic research essay that formed part of my coursework for my MA, looking at the relationship between the concept of embodiment and near death experiences, as well as differing conceptions of the soul and the subtle body in the western esoteric tradition.
- The Midnight Sun – An article published in 2009 on the popular astrology website, Skyscript, run by Deborah Houlding. It considers the significance of the winter solstice and how this solar phase may reflect the deep connection between Saturn, the Earth and the Sun found in Ancient Greek and Near Eastern cosmology. Suggestions are made as to how this symbolism might enhance one’s astrological understanding of the Sun’s ingress into Capricorn.
- Astrology, Cosmology & Geosophy – An academic essay exploring the geocentric orientation in astrology and it’s philosophical implications. Also a look at cosmic geography and maps in ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt and the Mediterrannean, including the four-fold astrological themes and the symbolism of the four cardinal directions and their links to the angles in astrology.
- Astrology, Hermeticism and the Ogdoad – An academic research essay examining links between the hermetic tradition, particularly those detailed in the Corpus Hermetica, and how the religion of the day was reflected in astrological practices and magical rituals.
EW Cole Foundation: https://www.ewcole.com/publication/early-years-mendes/
Spire in the Gyre: http://inspireinthegyre.blogspot.com/
Astrology Sphere www.astrologysphere.com
Astro-Insights Blog: http://blog.astrologysphere.com
THE COSMOLOGY OF ASTROLOGY
Understanding your connection to the Sun, Moon and planets.
Inspired by medieval-style cosmographies, this beautifully illustrated book offers readers an immersive and holistic introduction to the core concepts of astrology, revealing the symbolic connections and mysterious relationships that lie at the heart of our connection to the stars but also other esoteric systems such as magic, herbalism, and alchemy.
A new, yet ancient retelling of astrology that reclaims a view of a holistic, interconnected cosmos from the ancient Greeks, Mesopotamians, and Egyptians – how astrology was originally intended to be seen, before the worldview that came about as a result of the Industrial Revolution. It enables those new to astrology to reconnect with the wonder and magic of nature and the stars and offers a different perspective to those familiar with Western astrology.
ORIGINALLY DUE TO BE PUBLISHED IN OCT 2020, THIS SADLY DIDN’T HAPPEN AS THE PUBLISHER WENT BUST. ILLUSTRATED NON-FICTION PUBLISHERS INTERESTED IN TAKING THIS ON (I OWN ALL RIGHTS) PLEASE GET IN TOUCH.
A LIFE WITH ANIMALS
A photographic celebration of the Aspinall family and wildlife foundation.
Written to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the famous Kent-based wild animal park and conservation charity founded by the eccentric but visionary John Aspinall and now being taken into the 21st century by his son, Damian.
On this project, I worked with key members of the foundation, as well as photographer Dave Rolfe to develop the concept, source and create the content, compiling most of the text myself. I also worked very closely with the graphic designer to devise the cover, structure, layout and flow of the book right through to the final product. A true labour of love.
THE NEW ASTROLOGY OF TOWNS & CITIES
Published in association with the Urania Trust.
In 2013, I worked closely with the Urania Trust and Astrological Association to produce the second edition of a much-loved astrology reference classic by the late Harold Wigglesworth to mark the 40th anniversary of its original publication.
For those not directly involved in astrology, the book is a compendium of all the horoscopes of England’s major towns and cities, based on their incorporation dates. At the back is an in-depth notes section, filled with interesting facts and figures about the history of many of these places, which also makes for absorbing reading if you are at all interested in local history.
On this project, I wrote the introduction, checked and updated all the chart data, expanded the notes section and added in new entries that had been previously left out due to time restrictions or gaps in the available information. I also designed the cover, laid the whole book out and was responsible for its printing, a large part of the marketing and distribution. I also learnt a lot about e-book conversion, creating (through trial and error and a bit of insider guidance) two different versions for iTunes and Kindle. A real learning curve, but one I really enjoyed!
View a Preview of the text here.